Saturday, August 16, 2008

Day 41: You are what you eat.

On the forty first day we drove far away from the Zeitgeist. Six hours to LA to see some of Jess' friends from the Internets. Driving long distances in California always re-affirms my faith that Californians are the worst drivers in the world. Still the trip was safe and (barely) without incident. To the driver in the hideous gold Honday Pilot who cut me off on 5, I only wish yourself upon you.

Warung Cafe

After a long day and a stop at Warung for some concept-pupus and a beer, we headed to the Griffin to meet the Internet. After an awkward few meet-up-concept moments the crowd of nerds quickly became a mass of geeks, each from a different city, each with a different story, but all, by night's end, securing an impending hang over.

Hell-Taco

The nearby Del Taco was unavoidable after my 3rd drink, and like flies on crap, we filled ourselves with barely identifiable food products that approximated your lard-drenched taco bell favorites. From an extensive menu you could also get cheeseburgers and french fries if your faculties were adequately impaired. I created my own tacos dorados (aka The Chalupa) by ordering soft and crunchy tacos and assembling them with hot sauce. I didn't spend more than five dollars but it sure doesn't feel like.

Spacechitecture

The after party at Miguel's stretched on into the morning. There were head-smacking backflips and more than just a few high-fives. The neighbors were out late, boozin' in front of their 5 and 14 year old girls. Monica and Kevin made a trek to the ever-present Del Taco. I had a rare opportunity to chat with Audrey, I'm glad that she faces some of the challenges we all have when looking for inspiration.

Breakfast was had at Astro Family Restaurant, who's throwback 50's architecture was like eating in a scene out of the Big Lebowski. Our waitress, who at 5am was probably on her last legs of the day, was not appreciative of our audience.

85 °F / 29 °C
67 °F / 19 °C

Sat outside at Griffingeist, smoking section, second table from the door. I had at least a pitcher's worth while talking to a local crew. I wasn't sure what to make of them, but I felt like I knew them by the time I left.

No comments: