Monday, November 3, 2008

Election Day Jitters

Tomorrow is a big day. I already have butterflies. We have a chance to change history tomorrow and while all signs point to a win for Obama, I am never one to count my chickens. Even still there is an undeniable import to tomorrow, a chance for Americans to prove we care about our standing in the world.

Amidst the excitement, I'm also saddened by the passing of Obama's grandmother. I cannot imagine how difficult it must be for a candidate, on the cusp of the most historical election in modern US history, to cope with such news. My heart goes out to Barack on this election eve.

And while I'm excited about being part of a winning election for the first time in almost a decade, I'm still wary of what that actually means. What does change really mean for us? And while I believe in my candidate, I also know the Americans who have worked tirelessly to keep the old power structures in tact will not go down without a fight. Some of them may not even realize they are the forces that keep us mired in the current mess, and those that do, will do whatever they can to fortify their power, the inequity, and the prejudices they believe are the American way.

I do not fear the future, I fear the past and those who are stuck there. I can only hope for substance.

No comments: